Religion classes

I sat in on some religion classes at Sahmyook University today. I went to one that was by Dr. Nam. It was interesting. It was full of students who were writing a thesis. One of the students there told me that I should go sit in on something else, that wouldn't be for me. Well, I enjoyed it a lot. The professor had slides on biblical interpretation. He lectured about various subdisciplines of theology, biblical and other ancient languages, the differences between the Canon and Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha (false texts), and many other things. I was very interested.

I found the ancient languages to be very interesting. He mentioned Sumerian, Akkadian, Hittite, Ugaritic, Arabic, Egyptian, Ethiopic, and Syriac. He drew a map on the board and showed where each ancient language was spoken. I knew Sumerian would be in Mesopotamia. I remembered going to an Assyrian exhibit and seeing their Akkadian language on clay tablets. I had never heard of Ugaritic before. The other languages were familiar. I was curious as to how much Arabic has changed since ancient times. The professor said the writing was the same, but he was not sure how much it had changed. I learned that Coptic was in use in the 3-5th centuries and it was Egyptian with Greek letters. It's like how Mongolian uses Russian letters.

I liked how he talked about various fields of theology. Archaeology, Biblical Languages, Comparative Religions, etc. Biblical Theology has many areas. Pneumatology (holy spirit), Soteriology(salvation), Ecclesiology(doctrine), and Hamartology (sin) were all new terms for me. There's all Christology, Eschatology, Angelology/Demonology, Sanctuary, Sabbath, Inspiration/Revelation, and Christian Ethics. I am willing to study those in more depth.

The second lecture was on Revelation. I was pleased to find out that I already have the textbook here in Korea. It is by Ranko Stefanovic. I brought it with me from the USA. I also have the book on Daniel written by his brother Zdravko, but that one is not with me.

The last lecture was on the book of Job. I was surprised to find out that the Syriac Pettria placed Job after Deuteronomy. Moses is the traditional author of Job. Interesting. I like religion.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi,

Using Critical Thinking, its important to attempt to understand the mindset of the Jews in the Old Testament & New Testament. They spent more years in Babylon than they ever spent in Israel. They were a superstitious & ignorant people by the time Jesus came on earth. We have been deluded by the teachers of Christendom in many aspects of Judaism.

Once a person begins to understand the Talmudic mindset, it is natural to react like Martin Luther, but darkness MUST be exposed by the light. You CANNOT fight darkness with darkness! Jesus is the Light of the world & His Truth will set you free.

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post