Classical Music

I know I like classical music. I especially love Handel, Beethoven, Faure, and Mozart. I have listened to a lot of Faure's Requiem recently. I decided to do a wiki search and find out about other requiems. I remembered a man at Andrews University who had a stack of at least 20 CDs that were all requiems. There was an open house in the men's dormitory and I got to see his room. I never met anyone that was that interested in requiems. I didn't understand then. Now I learned to appreciate them. I love Mozart's requiem a lot. In high school I sang the "Dies Irae" in chorus. Faure's requiem is beautiful. I told my roommate that I felt it was picked from the heavens. She thought that was a strange comment. I just find it to be so celestial, especially the "Pie Jesu" and "In Paradisum".
In my wiki search, I found a long list of requiems. I was surprised at how many there are. There is a long list of those from the 20th century and also the 21st century. I was surprise to find out about John Tavener's requiem that he wrote especially for Bjork's voice. There are also some requiems written by Chinese and Japanese composers. I have an interest in Eastern classical music. I have heard Yo-Yo Ma's "Silk Road Ensemble" and it's beautiful. Tyzen Hsiao wrote a requiem and this lovely piece
I think Canon in D is great. I have a CD of various arrangements of Canon in D. I didn't bring it with me and I didn't rip it before I left for Korea. I liked the arrangement by Isao Tomita called "Canon of the Three Stars". Canon in D is so simple, yet it can be made into so many arrangements. I love the simplicity of it.

Comments

That requiem with Björk is beautiful -- I haven't heard it before.
Yes, I was surprised to read about it. The wikipedia entry only listed Bjork and not John Tavener, so I was thinking "Bjork has a requiem?!" She's not a classical composer. She is still talented.
I do want to learn more about 20th and 21st century composers, as well as Asian ones.

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post