The Louvre Lesson

Today I am teaching a lesson on the Louvre. I have never been there, yet I would love to go there someday. Well, here is some of the lesson:

The Louvre has some of the most famous paintings and sculptures on Earth.
There is the Mona Lisa, the most famous painting in the world. About six million people see the painting every year. It is in an enclosure behind bullet-proof glass.



A famous sculpture in the Louvre is "The Winged Victory of Samothrace". It was made between 290 and 190 B.C. It is of the Nike, the Greek goddess of victory. It was found in Greece in 1863 and brought to Paris that same year. Unfortunately the sculpture has lost its arms and head. It is still considered to be beautiful and the missing parts make it look more like a ghost.



The Louvre has 50,000 pieces from Ancient Egypt.

Comments

Mary-Jane said…
Sounds like a very interesting lecture - would've loved to attend that :-)
I didn't know as much about the Louvre until I had to teach this lesson. I have a book of essays to teach the students. I came across this and then looked things up on the museum. I have always wanted to go there, now I want to go even more!
Larry said…
It sounds interesting. I am the same way about art as I am with wine. I often can't tell the cheap stuff from the good stuff some times but I know what I like when I see it.
I agree with you on art. I can appreciate things at a university art show that the students made. I can also appreciate things by the masters.

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post