Religion Lecturer

Last Friday night I lead the vespers program at Sahmyook University. I used many scriptural texts to go along with my talk. My talk was about Philemon and the concepts that are in there. I used texts from Colossians, John, Philippians, Luke, 1 Peter, and Galatians as well as quotes from the Desire of Ages. I easily talked for 45 minutes with four pages of notes. I had people's attention. I liked talking in front of them. After my talk many people told me that it was very good.

The next day one of the professors from the religion department said that during my talk he was thinking that I should be a university lecturer in religion. He told me about the Sunday programs that are available on campus. He said that religion should be where I belong. He asked me what my undergraduate studies were in. I told him it was English literature. He said that I could easily add religion to my academic studies. I didn't tell him that I thought of adding religion as a second major when I was at Andrews University. He went on to say that it would be great to get a degree in religion from the East because most scholars get their degrees in the West. He said it would be a different perspective.

I am wondering if that is something I should do. I did look at the Public Health program. It looks interesting, yet I am not sure if that's something I want to do. I like the idea of doing certain things with public health, yet I wonder if that is something I would do well.

If I do decide to be a religion lecturer, I will do my best to be a good scholar. I will have to make sure that I know my subject well. I know that being a good researcher requires determination, patience, and the willingness to learn other subjects that intertwine with the main subject. Being a religion scholar would require knowledge of history, sociology, philosophy, and foreign languages. Being a scholar is a life-long commitment.

Comments

There's definitely some overlap between literature and religion. Maybe it is the fact that religions are based on narratives as well.

Maybe you should see if you can sit in on a Master's of Divinity class, like you did with the Master's of Public Health sessions.

The more you know about something, the easier it is to make sound decisions.

Good luck!
Thanks. I do think religion would be a lot easier for me to do. A career in academia or ministry wouldn't involve the legal paperwork and "red tape" that public health would entail.
I should check the program out this weekend.

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post