Aunt Charlotte

A few weeks ago there was the annual Woodstock Fair in my area. It has been going on for 152 years. I always like to go to see the animals, craft exhibits, and browse the shopping area.  I also like to experience the entertainment.  They often have country and pop bands, oldies music, and some commedians.  This year Tony Orlando came to do one concert for the fair.
I remember my aunt had a vinyl Tony Orlando record when I was a kid. My sister and I sometimes played it. "Tie A Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree" was our favorite. My aunt was very thrilled that he was coming to the fair.
My mother, sister, aunt and I arrived in the afternoon for the fair.  My mother and aunt walked straight to the main stage to get good seats for Tony Orlando. A band was singing classic songs from the 1960s.  My sister and I walked around to look among the concession stands for fried dough.  We later joined the rest of our family for the concert.
Tony Orlando was fun. He sang many of his classic songs, as well as some other songs from that era.  He told jokes and had the crowd roaring with laughter.  He said during one of his joke sessions that he wanted a hot dog. After singing his next song, someone came up to the stage and presented him with a fully-loaded hot dog.  It was such fun. I was impressed that he did such a good concert at his age. He is in his 70s.
That night it took me a while to get to bed. I was so wound up from the fair.  I finally dozed off around 11:00 pm. I woke up a few hours later. I couldn't seem to get back to sleep.
At almost 3:00 am I heard my aunt calling my name. I had my fan on so I wasn't sure if she was calling me. Then I heard her again. I got up.  She was saying she couldn't breathe. She was very congested.
Soon my mother was doing CPR on her. I called the ambulance.  They took her to the hospital, and then to another one.  She was pronounced dead just after 12:00 pm. 
It was so crazy.  She seemed to be doing fine.  I knew she didn't have a long life ahead of her, with her diabetes and other health problems. Yet I didn't think she'd go that soon.  Yet sometimes these things happen so suddenly.
We should be burying the box of ashes next week at my grandmother's grave site. My aunt wanted to be cremated and buried with her mother. There is a box of daffodil bulbs waiting in the house next to the urn.
Rest in peace, Aunt Charlotte.

Comments

J.R. Adams said…
I'm sorry to read that. Your entry was very well written. I love reading your blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post