Physics Mysteries Y(4140)

I have been very interested in physics over the last few years. It started because I was stuck in an airport for 32 hours in March 2007. I wanted something to do with myself so I went to a bookstore and bought Warped Passages by Lisa Randall. It is a book that is good for laymen to learn about theoretical physics. I found it interesting that there are so many dimensions besides three, in fact there can be eleven. I bought some books by Brian Greene that I wanted to take to Korea with me, but I had to leave them behind unread.

I have recently heard of that Large Hadron Collider that is in Switzerland and France. They are trying to find out if a Higgs Particle actually exists or not. It would give people more information on how matter is formed. I am interested as to what the LHC will do for scientific discovery.

Today I went to National Geographic's website and found that in the Fermilab Atom Smasher in Illinois, USA, a new particle has been discovered. It is called "Y(4140)". It defies all the former theory on how matter is formed. Either three quarks get together to form a baryon (like a proton or neutron) or a quark bonds with its anti-quark and forms a meson. This particle has done neither of those. It is interesting, but time will tell what this means for physics.
By the way, I found a rap about the LHC. It's fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post