Suicide :'(

This afternoon I was at Singil station in Seoul. I had planned on going to the Egypt exhibit at the National Museum at Ichon station. I stopped at Singil because my sandal strap was breaking and I got off the train and bought a new pair on sandals. I went to get back on the train again. I noticed that one of the trains wasn't going anywhere, and the train I was waiting for wasn't coming. I wondered what was going on.
I soon saw some men in orange suits walking on the tracks. They had a metal stretcher with them and other medical paraphernalia. They weren't running and I was sure I knew what happened. I asked a man beside me what was going on. He said "a person is under the train". I looked and saw a crumpled form there. A crowd watched as the crew held up the tarp as the body was lifted from under the train. I saw the person's legs, all muddy with dirty white shoes. The tarp was then laid over the body and some rocks placed on it to keep it from blowing away. They then left it there.
It was interesting to note the crowd's reactions. The people just watched with little emotion. I think people have been so desensitised to these things from media. Korea is also a country with a very high suicide rate. I thought to myself "some family will be crying themselves to sleep tonight".
I left so I could find a toilet. I then came back and went to another platform and soon took another train out of there. I saw the lonely tarp still laying there. Just one station worker stood nearby.

Comments

Mary-Jane said…
How terrible. These accident (or deliberate) scenes are always so awful.
A sad reality in Korea.
Lindi said…
I wonder if metro/subway will lay charges against the corpse as it is the case in S.A. ?

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post