First Day Teaching, Taekwondo

Yesterday was the first day I taught at the high school. Many of the classes are being taught in temporary classrooms because the newer school is still being built. It's OK, it doesn't bother me. It was a good day. I had two higher level honours classes that had 13 students each. I am sure I will have a good time with them. The only problem is that most Korean students are very shy. I had a lower-level class with about 40 students in it that was more difficult, and one mid-level class that went well.
After classes I went to taekwondo for the first time at that dojang. I am still new at the sport. I went there because I know there are many other foreigners there, so I can get some help in English. I also already have some friends there. an International Taekwondo Federation dojang. It is a type of taekwondo that is popular in North Korea.
My first lesson went well for the most part. I think I did well for a beginner. I am glad I did stretching exercises on the roof while I was at my last residence. I would go for a walk every morning and then go up the elevator for 20 floors and put my leg up on the wall and stretch. I would do other stretches there. I had a good view of the mountains.
I did have some difficulty with some stretching. I was trying to get close to doing the side splits (I'm still not near to doing that) and a Korean man helped me. He sat on the floor in front of me and grabbed my hands and put his feet against my legs. He pushed my legs apart and I was yelling. That was intense. I don't think that is done in the West as a standard procedure.
I am glad that I had a good first day as a high school English teacher. I need to learn about how I can teach my students better. I want to do my best as a teacher. I also want to have fun with taekwondo and have some nice friendships there.

Comments

Mary-Jane said…
I'm glad you had such a nice first day - hope it continues to get even better! Enjoy the TKD, it should be a lot of fun :-)
Yes, I'm having fun. I am learning what I need to do for my students. I like the school. I am glad to have some of the higher level students as well because they are very interested.
I am liking taekwondo, but I am finding it difficult to follow what everyone else is doing.

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post