On Friendship

Today my reading class was reading about friendship. I asked them things they wanted in a friend. Most of them said they wanted someone they could do things with. I wanted someone whom with I can talk about lots of things.
I shared with them the proverb: "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver (eun) and the other is gold (geum)". My students all said they had many of the same friends since they were very small. I do envy that. I rarely see any of my former classmates. The longer we know someone, the stronger the friendship becomes.
There is that famous line from "The Wizard of Oz": "Remember that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others". It is because if we want to be loved, we must love other people. Of course we can't make anyone love us at all, or in the way we may want. Yet love is always a choice that people make, and if we are willing to love anyone, it will make them more likely to want to return that idea. We must also accept how much they are willing to give.
I do think that very true and close friends are rarities as most people aren't true enough or they aren't close enough.

Comments

A friend of mine has an expression: "I'm friends with few, but friendly with many". For myself, I actually have many friends -- but it is true that their is an inner circle of friends that are really close. Of these, I only have a handful. But they are much treasured. They are like family, and some of them are even closer to me than my family.
For me, my church family in the USA was like a real family to me. I do wish I got to spend more time with them outside of church.
Lindi said…
we are living in the bussiness world, i have noted people have incorporated the concept of friendship to business.(Unfair) It makes it a bit tricky to have true friends.

I recently met with some Canadian caucasians - for a social gathering, they told me about hug campaingne, they were so exhausted that evening after embarking on the event, sounded interesting.

Jesus is the best friend.
Business colleagues are usually just that--colleagues. We have to see people outside of work in order to know them better.
I heard of a judge that had a hugging campaign. I didn't know there were others similar.

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post