Andy Warhol

I went to see an Andy Warhol exhibit at the Seoul Museum of Art today. I liked it a lot. Warhol was an interesting character. He supposedly had an I.Q. of around 86, which would be bordering retarded, but would still be in the normal range. It is also suspected that he had an autistic disorder. If he did have an autism spectrum disorder, that would explain the way he obsessively collected things, made many pieces of art that were similar and yet had their differences in shades and colours.
I didn't know much about Warhol before I saw the exhibit. There were his famous drawings of Campbell soup cans, a portrait of a boy picking his nose, and his Marilyn Monroe portraits. There were also portraits of other celebrities like Sylvester Stallone, Princess Diana, and Ingrid Bergman.

He had a sort of fascination with death. He made an art print of the 1962 jet crash at Orly in Paris. It was en route to Atlanta, Georgia, USA and was carrying mostly art enthusiasts from an art society. They had gone to Paris for the art, and were returning home. 130 people died. He also made many prints of an electric chair and an ambulance disaster.

I liked the exhibit a lot, even though I am not a huge fan of pop art. I prefer impressionism and some types of post-impressionism. I like dadaism, symbolism, pointillism, and some cubism. I am glad I took the time to go out and see the exhibit. I still think the Renior exhibit I saw last year and the Picasso exhibit from a few years ago was better.




electric chair





Ingrid Bergman as a nun, like in "The Bells of St. Mary's".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post