The United States annoys me.

I have been in the USA for two weeks now. I have been able to see the USA from an outsider's prospective, since I have spent at least two and a half years abroad. I realise how silly typical American culture is.
I have been watching television because it has been cold and snowy outside. I think so many of the things they try to sell on television are totally ridiculous. No wonder so many Americans are in debt, they buy so many things they don't really need. Clutter is a common problem in many American homes because of all the stuff people buy.
Here is a "potty patch" for your dog to whiz inside the house. Wow, keep your dog peeing in the house! It looks like real grass!!!!


Here is a neck exerciser. Yes, people can waste their money on this crap. Can't someone just do some neck exercises by just using their hand to their neck and just move their neck up and down? It does work, and it will save money.

Those are just a sampling of the stupidity I have seen on American television these two weeks.

There is a popular reality TV show called "The Biggest Loser" when people suffering from obesity go on TV and try to lose their weight. This season has teams of two family members competing against other teams. The people who lose the biggest percentage of body weight during the show will win. To begin with, they had to be weighed in public, in front of their towns. When they arrived at the ranch, they immediately had to do 26 miles on exercise bikes. They also had to do treadmills for long periods of time. I think they would be better off if they each had their own individual exercise programmes and started exercising gradually, and then worked up to more intense things.



One thing many of the obese contestants complained about was the fact they couldn't find love at their size. That is sad, because if someone really loves someone else, they wouldn't care so much about looks. Also, I have known many fat people that got married. I myself am a thin person and I haven't found a match yet either, so being thin doesn't guarantee a successful love life. Also, being confident and loving one's self regardless of size is attractive.

Comments

Mary-Jane said…
In South Africa there is currently a heavy emphasis on advertisements focusing on alcoholic substances - brandy, whiskey, etc - which is mostly run during family viewing times (early evening). I find this disturbing.

Is it the same in America/Korea?
In Korea, there are lots of soju advertisements. In the USA, I do remember seeing lots of alcohol ads, but there isn't a large percentage of them compared to the rest of air time. Since it is the new year, I have been seeing mostly ads for losing weight.
Mary-Jane said…
Interesting... Weightloss is also a popular one here, but more during the daytime television.

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post