What to Study...

Last month I went to Hankuk University of Foreign Studies. I think the campus is very beautiful. I came across many students from a variety of backgrounds who were speaking a lot of different languages. It was great.
I decided to go there to learn more about their graduate programmes. I have thought of many different study options.  I have so many interests that it's hard to pinpoint what I really want to do. I do need to sharpen my skills somewhere though.
I found that Hankuk University has a strong emphasis on "area studies".  They have majors in Middle Eastern & African studies, North American studies, European Union studies, South & Southeast Asian studies, Russia and CIS studies, and Latin American studies. There are also degrees in international law and development.  There is also a dual degree with the University of Peace in Costa Rica in international law and human rights.  Korean, Japanese, and Chinese studies are also offered, being taught in the native tongues.  All the other majors are offered in English.
I do find all of those interesting of course.  Well, I find the Middle Eastern and African studies major to be most interesting of them all, mostly because the Middle East and North Africa is the closest thing to terra incognita you can find on Planet Earth in the 21st century.  Russia and CIS is also interesting because I grew up hearing about the USSR and how terrible life was there.  I saw the huge mass on my globe and always wondered what was in there.  Latin American studies is something I want to learn more about because I have been to South America and have fallen in love with it.  I took Spanish in high school. I did think of studying in Argentina to learn Spanish.

So, where does that leave me?  Well, I have wondered, what could I do with a degree in any of those?  Well, there is always research.  Also, there is translation of literature.  Government employment may also be available.

Yet, I also love the outdoors. I also want to learn more about environmental studies.  I found a programme in Norway.  It is International Environmental Studies.  If I study that, I am sure I won't be sorry.
UMB Norwary, Int'l Environmental Studies Programme
The catch is, they prefer applicants who have previous degrees in ecology, biology, development studies, social sciences, etc.

Sometimes I wish I didn't have so many interests...

Comments

Skryfblok said…
I know the feeling!

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post