Gracie: 15 Year Anniversary

Today Gracie has been dead for 15 years, according to my Bible. She was a foster child of a family I knew.  She was HIV+ and passed away at the age of 5.  I loved Gracie very much and she is someone that will always be special to me.
Because of Gracie, I have always felt sympathetic for people with HIV.  I have wanted to do something for people with HIV, most especially children with the disease since they couldn't help being born with it. I wanted to do that in Gracie's honour. Well, I haven't gotten around to much. I do feel that I need to do some activism. 
After the 2010 earthquake in Haiti, many orphans who were in the process of being adopted were quickly sent out of the country.  Haiti put a moratorium on new adoptions for a while, just to make sure that the children being adopted out were truly orphans and not misplaced.  I was curious as to what adoption in Haiti is about. I read that Haitian adoptions may take 18-24 months to be completed.  I wish it were faster, so the kids can get to new homes quicker.  I was surprised that HIV+ positive children are available. 
It turns out that new laws in the United States and some other countries have allowed children with HIV to be adopted from other countries. Also, there are much better drugs than before, so having HIV doesn't have to mean a very short life like Gracie had. I am thankful those kids have better chances now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post