What is Success?

I used an essay topic for my higher level students this week. It was a discussion on what makes a successful life. It used cooking as a metaphor for a recipe for a successful life. As people like different cuisines, they also enjoy different lifestyles. What would be an interesting life for one person would be boring for someone else. We all have an idea of what is a recipe for success, and we have different proportions of things we want in life. Some of us want more education, others more travel, etc.
I asked the students what was most important to them for success. Most of them said "Money". There were many girls who said "Family". It shows the different values of the sexes here. We agreed that education is important to reach goals. Education is highly valued in this culture.
I thought about what I have deemed success. I must be honest with myself.
1. Travel. Ever since I was a young child I have wanted to travel the globe.
2. Education. I would like to pursue advanced degrees. I know I have the brains for it, I just need to make myself do it.
3. Having relationships. I do want to have good times with friends. I want to be able to talk about different things. Having support is also good.
4. I also would like a good spiritual life as well.

Hmmm. I do have to think about what sort of proportions I want in my recipe for life.

Comments

Skryfblok said…
Sometimes I fall into the trap of measuring myself by society at large's measure for success. This, of course, makes me feel like a terrible failure, for I do not have the wife, two and half kids, house with white picket fence, station wagon, and lots of credit card debt which people my age "ought" to have. I'm often asked "So when are you getting married?" and "When are you planning to have children?" Two things that are not on my list of present priorities.

But then I remind myself that these are not my recipe for a successful life, and once I measure myself to my own standards I feel much better; knowing that I am not yet exactly where I want to be, but I am on the road towards it.
Yes. How many people have those standards that the world deems "success" and they are not happy anyways? Not everyone is happy with their lives when they seem to have it all.

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post