I recently took three books out of the library: Ballistics by Billy Collins, Shakespeare by Bill Bryson, and Albert Einstein by Walter Isaacson. Yesterday I returned the first two and renewed the last one because I didn't get around to reading it. It looks very interesting and it even has an epilogue on Einstein's brain. Today I took out Lost on Planet China and sat in the cafe to read the first chapter. Today I found this article on Einstein:
PARIS (AFP) – It's taken more than a century, but Einstein's celebrated formula e=mc2 has finally been corroborated, thanks to a heroic computational effort by French, German and Hungarian physicists.
A brainpower consortium led by Laurent Lellouch of France's Centre for Theoretical Physics, using some of the world's mightiest supercomputers, have set down the calculations for estimating the mass of protons and neutrons, the particles at the nucleus of atoms.
According to the conventional model of particle physics, protons and neutrons comprise smaller particles known as quarks, which in turn are bound by gluons.
The odd thing is this: the mass of gluons is zero and the mass of quarks is only five percent. Where, therefore, is the missing 95 percent?
The answer, according to the study published in the US journal Science on Thursday, comes from the energy from the movements and interactions of quarks and gluons.
In other words, energy and mass are equivalent, as Einstein proposed in his Special Theory of Relativity in 1905.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I got engaged
I got engaged last September 6th. My fiance proposed to me at the Southeast Lighthouse on Block Island.
-
While an undergraduate student at Andrews University I took a poetry class. I studied some of A.E. Stallings' poetry. She studied lots ...
-
Yesterday was a beautiful day on the campus of Sahmyook University. The plants and fountains are beautiful. I noticed a tree with pink bloss...
-
Ode to a Cluster of Violets - by Pablo Neruda - Crisp cluster plunged in shadow. Drops of violet water and raw sunlight floated up with your...
2 comments:
That's amazing that they're still trying to catch up to some of the theories from Einstein and others.I'd like to learn more about what Tesla was up to. He has been the subject in some recent movies and discovery specials I've seen.-Seemed like an interesting guy.
I'll have to read up on Tesla. He is very interesting. I do think people like that were ahead of their own times.
Post a Comment