Museum of Fine Arts

Today I went to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. It was the second time I went to an art museum this year.
I first went to a special exhibit on Assyrian art. The Assyrian empire was one that was mentioned in the Bible. I knew they were a people that were feared and the art showed why that was true. There were many relief sculptures that showed battle scenes. There were some winged lions, symbols of Babylon there. The Assyrian empire had existed in the area of Babylon for a while.
I also saw the medieval art which was mostly religious stuff. There was a wall and dome from the twelfth century one the end of one wall. Christ and his disciples were depicted there. I couldn't make out all their names, but I saw "John" spelled as "Ioannes" and "Matthew" as "MVTHU".
I enjoyed the impressionists the most. There were paintings by Degas, Monet, and Renoir there. A large Gaugin painting was there, it showed a number of Tahitians on a beach. I like his style, but not all his personal views.



There were also many Renaissance paintings, some by Velazquez the court painter for Philip IV. There was a large painting of St. Francis of Assisi that I really liked by another painter named Zurbaran.
I saw a minimalist exhibit by Rachel Whiteread. I don't particularly care for minimalism. Many of the things in there looked like a ten year-old did it.
Of everything I saw, "The Seventh Plague" by John Martin is a close favourite:



The part that I enjoyed the most would be the photography exhibit on Karsh. There were many portraits of his all around the room. Many of those were familiar. The story of Winston Churchill's portrait made me chuckle. He didn't know his portrait was to be taken and he growled and chomped on a fresh cigar. He finally got talked into it and reluctantly put his stub down.

Comments

Larry said…
I enjoy art when I go to a gallery but I have a hard time figuring out exctly what it is about a painting that makes me like it or not.-I do like the painting that you picked because of the way the light shines through.
I like paintings that seem to make a statement or have something about them that makes them eye-catching. I like that particular painting because of the dramatic sky and the terror of the plague that seems to show up.

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post