Medieval Studies Major Stereotypes

I was an English major in college and one of my former classmates graduated and started getting her master's in English. She told me that I reminded her of the Medieval studies majors at her university. I wonder why. What would the characteristics of a medieval studies major be?


(I asked this on Livejournal a long time ago).


Answers: 


"I don't know, do you wear a lot of shapeless hand knitted natural fibers perhaps? roll your own cigarettes and tend to avoid shaving?"

"I would expect medieval students to be eccentric crusties who lean towards sitting in mud and listening to folk music."

"Do you play Dungeons and Dragons?"

"Loves the renaissance faire"

'Absolutely refuses to believe in modern science, and argues everything from an Aristotelian standpoint?

"Damn you and your theory of gravity, that rock's going down because it wants to go home."'

"Beowulf 24/7"

"I'm a Medieval Studies minor (we don't offer it as a major) and from what I've noticed, they're just so many different types of people! Granted, a lot of them are as nerdy as they come, but some of us are really cool. ;)"

"I dunno, missing limbs from jousting accidents?"


"I know some medieval history/literature/bread making majors, so I came up with a list.

Are you..

- a lesbian?
- vegan? or vegetarian?
- a fan of folky type music?
- an NPR listener?
- residing on the east coast?
- a Bjork fan?
- thinking about getting cable?
- any sort of renactor? (civil war renactor, etc)
- driving in a used car or riding a bike?
- A Johnny Depp fan?
- the kind of person who wears flip flops in December?
- eating meals without cutlery?
- wondering where your friends went?
- someone who reads about boring shit.. like Medieval History?

Were you..

- obsessed with Anime as a teen and/or obsessed with the idea of one day visiting Japan when you "grew up"?
* SUB QUESTION: Obsessed with Jrock/Jpop/Jwtf?
- in your high school's drama club?
- part of that group of weird people who would run around in a field with foam bats and pretend you were in some sort of battle, a la lord of the rings?
- stoked when Lord of the Rings won all of the Oscars that one time?
- a D&D master?
- A Tim Burton fan in highschool?
- a Hot Topic customer?
- a Harry Potter crackhead?
- the smelly kid in class?

RESULTS:

If you answer "yes" to any of these questions, you might be someone who would major in Medieval History.

If you take anything I wrote down to heart and actually are offended by what I wrote, you might be someone who would major in Medieval History."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post