My Alma Mater Will Cease to Exist

I found out last week that my alma mater, Atlantic Union College will lose its accreditation at the end of summer 2011.  It has been in existence since the 1880s, but it has been having financial problems for over a decade now. 
The problems with AUC have been very controversial.  Many students were defaulting on their loans when I was there from 2001-2003.   There was at least $7 million in debts for the school.  The reasons that students were allowed to default is something that's hard to speak out about.  Clearly some favoritism existed.  The president at the time was accused of firing competent staff members and replacing them with cronies that were less qualified.  Such mis-management was enough to bring the school into ruin.  Even though he left just before I graduated in 2003, the damage has proven irreversible.
It has been voted that Washington Adventist University in Maryland will take AUC as a satellite campus.  It is good that WAU now has university status (it only gained it within the last few years) and now the campus in Massachusetts can have more classes.  In recent years many departments have shut down due to lack of funds.  I do hope things work out, I wouldn't want such a historic and beautiful campus to not be used as a school anymore.
This all being said, I do think it's time for me to get another degree.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post