I Miss Korea

I do miss Korea. I do miss many people there and many places there.   I have been wishing I was there now to do some things with the friends I left behind.
What I don't miss is teaching.  Teaching is what most of us foreigners do there, unless we are in military. I would gladly do something there that doesn't involve teaching a class. 
Teaching is something I don't like doing.  I have wondered if I learned better skills with it, that maybe I would like it better.  Yet after doing it for so long things haven't changed.  The problem is that since I have spent so much time since graduating from college in Asia, I have gotten accustomed to life there. I haven't readjusted to American life well at all. 
Frankly, I don't really want to get used to the USA again. I don't want to live here, unless I can live in one of the bigger metropolitan areas like New York City or Boston.  If I lived in those places I could get used to walking around a lot and using public transit, taking in the diversity and many cultural venues.
Yet, living in Asia is being in a place where I will never fit in completely.  I may make friends with fellow foreigners, but they come and go.  I have wondered how those Westerners who marry Asians and settle there with families think of Asia after many years living there. I am sure they still love it a lot, yet they still have never fit in the culture totally.  It's impossible.  All non-Asians are "big-nosed foreigners".  Asians of other backgrounds are also set apart.  Japanese and Chinese folks don't always do well in Korea.
I still do miss Korea.  I miss the many kimbap shops, the cafes I hung out in, the parks.  I miss the flower festivals and the museums of Seoul.  I miss going around on solo adventures with a backpack and camera to feed my wanderlust.

Comments

Toyin O. said…
Korea sounds like a really great place, hope you get to visit Korea soon:)
Skryfblok said…
I know how you feel. While in Korea I know I'll always be an outsider and wish to be somewhere I felt more at home, but while I'm in my home country I find myself missing Korea.

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post