The Collected Poems--1959
Overnight, very
Whitely, discreetly,
Very quietly, our toes, our noses
Take hold on the loam,
Acquire the air. Nobody sees us,
Stops us, betrays us;
The small grains make room. Soft fists insist on
Heaving the needles,
The leafy bedding, Even the paving.
Our hammers, our rams,
Earless and eyeless,Perfectly voiceless,
Widen the crannies,
Shoulder through holes. We diet on water,
On crumbs of shadow,
Bland-mannered, asking little or nothing.
So many of us!
So many of us! We are shelves, we are
Tables, we are meek,
We are edible, nudgers and shovers
In spite of ourselves.
Our kind multiplies: We shall by morning
Inherit the earth.
Our foot's in the door.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I got engaged
I got engaged last September 6th. My fiance proposed to me at the Southeast Lighthouse on Block Island.
-
While an undergraduate student at Andrews University I took a poetry class. I studied some of A.E. Stallings' poetry. She studied lots ...
-
Yesterday was a beautiful day on the campus of Sahmyook University. The plants and fountains are beautiful. I noticed a tree with pink bloss...
-
Ode to a Cluster of Violets - by Pablo Neruda - Crisp cluster plunged in shadow. Drops of violet water and raw sunlight floated up with your...
No comments:
Post a Comment