Nathan died ten years ago today.

Yes, today marks the tenth anniversary of Nathan's death. He died at Andrews University. I knew him for five years.
I was busy all day because of final exams. I was also cleaning out my dorm room for Christmas break and packing for my trip home. I had heard some information about a car accident, but dismissed the information because I didn't know much about it.
I was happy to finish with my exams because it was some less things I had to think about. I decided to go to bed early I had to leave early in the morning to get a ride with a friend.
I found some students talking in the hallway and they were all sad. They said that the car accident was Nathan's car. I didn't have to be told he died, I just knew. I want to my room and cried hard. I cried and cried for a long time and just wet my pillow. I found that he was out early that morning and went to get blank CDs for a friend of his. The weather was terrible, he should have stayed on campus. He was rushing back to get to an exam. He lost control of his car and it slid into an oncoming bus. The bus was carrying schoolchildren, none of them were badly hurt.
The service was held on Dec. 31, 1999. It was a beautiful service. His academy's choir sang. A friend played a cello solo. There was a table loaded with things of his: baby pictures, his baby blanket, Pathfinder club sash, his car keys with a keychain made of a computer piece, photos of the accident, etc. His computer was set up on the hall where there was a lunch for everyone. His favorite hymns were sang.
Time is a healer. I have moved on with my life, and so has everyone else. For a long time I caught myself looking for him in places where we hung out. I remember the day I met him in 1995, when we were on a lake together in kyaks and he began to splash me with his paddle. Later we went swimming and he threw seaweed at me. He was teasing me. I miss walking around with him and talking about various things. I miss his blue eyes framed by thick glasses (he was blind as a bat without them). I do wish he could have lived and done things with his life. He was so smart and talented.
I will be glad to see him in Heaven someday. I do agree with Hamlet that "it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all".

Comments

Skryfblok said…
Yes, time is a healer. But we don't forget, do we? At least remembering doesn't hurt that much anymore.

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post