Stuff

Last Sunday I went to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.  It rained heavily when I arrived there with my sister.  It was to be the last day of the exhibit by Chihuly. 

My sister and I were met by big crowds.  The line was going down the block.  Neither of us had an umbrella.  We waited in line for a few minutes and then decided not to bother with Chihuly, just try to see the rest of the museum.  I felt that we could do that.  We ran ahead of the line and inside.  Nobody tried to stop us.  We found the room to buy tickets in and stood in line some more, dripping wet.

I got to the vendor and he said that anyone who had a Bank of America card on them would get free admission.  Thankfully I had mine on me and I got a free ticket.  I could also see the Chihuly exhibit after all.  So, my sister and I walked into the museum as line cutters.

First we saw the musical instruments.  The museum has some harpsichords, virginals, many stringed instruments and some very old woodwinds.  I liked the harpsichord that was painted with a lovely outdoors scene of Le Arc d'Triomphe as the most beautiful instrument there.
This is a 1736 harpsichord by Henri Hemsch.  It has real gold leaf on it.  It's still so beautiful.

There were also some lutes and an arch-cittern among other things.  The lute is such an old instrument, the forerunner of the guitar. That is an instrument rarely seen these days. It would be an interesting conversation starter to say "I play the lute". 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am fascinated by the evolution of any musical instruments. I once visited the Met in NYC and saw a primitive guitar-very bizarre, but intriguing.

It seems that most modern musical instruments were devised during the renaissance, particularly in Italy.

Your blog is quite lovely!

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post