Boston Again

Today my sister and I headed back to the Museum of Fine Arts of Boston again. Tickets are good for two visits, as long as the second visit is done within ten days of the first. I was happy to get back there. We also ate food at the Cheesecake Factory, a nice restaurant chain that has GREAT food. We also wandered around a mall.

We first went to the subway stop called "Alewife", which is named after a type of fish. The place has a huge parking garage with many levels. It's a common place for people to come off the highway and park their cars and take the trains into Boston.

The Museum of Fine Arts is right off the subway stop named after it. My sister and I were hungry when we got off, so we decided to find the Cheesecake Factory. We ordered salads. I got one with endive, raddicchio, pecans and cheese. It was to die for. It was so tasty I just savoured every bite. I can now die in peace because I have tried that salad. We also ordered pasta.

We wandered over to a mall that had many upscale stores. We walked into Saks Fifth Avenue, and we thought most of the clothes were gaudy.  I do admit that most of the fashion these days is ridiculous.  I walked around and saw so many expensive clothes that didn't look like they were worth the amount they were being sold for.  I wouldn't pay so much for clothes that weren't made of good material and were only fad items.  One store that did have good stuff was Burberry.  Their clothes are stylish, yet too pricey for me now.

I am not one of those people that spends a lot of money on clothes often. If I am to splurge on something, I want it to be something that will last and will look good on me for a long time.

At the art museum we went to the new "Art of the Americas" wing.  There were many paintings, furniture, and silver pieces, among other things.  There were many silver pieces by Paul Revere, since he was a silversmith from Massachusetts.  Boston is very proud of him, there is even a suburb called Revere.  The Old North Church, where he went to give the signal that the British were invading still stands today.  A portrait of him is mounted in the entranceway of the wing.

Paul Revere by John Singleton Copley

It was amazing how many of the paintings were in my history books when I was in grade school.  I felt that I was reliving my history classes.  That was fine, I liked history in school.

Watson and the Shark by John Singleton Copley

I remember seeing that shark attack picture as a child.  I think the painting is great except for the shark, which looks unrealistic.  For centuries, few people knew what most sea creatures looked like in great detail.  The subject of the attack, Brook Watson, lost his right leg.  He went on to become a soldier and politician.

This is an etching by Paul Revere.  It is of the Boston Massacre of March 5, 1770.  I had seen that many times in the books.  The massacre of five colonists by British soldiers did help make the colonists more angry at the British.  The first person to die was Crispus Attucks, a mixed-race sailor. He is considered the first martyr of the Revolution.

We saw many other paintings that were unfamiliar. The paintings looked so real that the fabrics looked touchable.  The lace on some of the gowns looked like real lace that was put on the canvas.  It was amazing how big the portaits were.  There was one that took up an entire wall.





Comments

Skryfblok said…
Sounts like a wonderful day out.
Skryfblok said…
"Sounts"? Wonder what that is?
I love going to Boston. I wouldn't mind living in that area.

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post