Going to New York City

Last week I got to spend a few days in New York City. I have wanted to spend the night in Manhattan for a long time. My mother and I spent two nights at Hotel Carter, a cheap hotel that's just over $100 a night.  It's not fancy at all, the couch was ripped and the water had to run for 10 minutes to get hot enough for a good shower. Yet, I can't complain. It's better than spending over $300 on a hotel for a night.  To me, a hotel is only good for sleeping, showering, and keeping my things.  I am willing to stay in a cheap place.  The hotel was in a great location because it was so close to Times Square. Let those other people break the bank on a hotel.
I went to see Phantom of the Opera on the first night. It was good. I saw Phantom back in high school.  It brought back memories.  I was with the school's music department.  The seniors all had their names put in a hat and some names were drawn to get the better seats. I was one of the lucky ones that got to sit closer to the front.  This time my mother and I were in the far back. It's OK, the show was good anyways.
The next day we went to the New York Botanical Garden in the Bronx. It was worth it to go. It's open from 10am to 6pm.  We got there a little past 11am.  I loved the collection of lilacs. I saw some types I had never seen before. I didn't know about those with white on the edges of each tiny blossom. I saw some tree peonies which i have never seen. They smelled lovely.  The azaleas were also in full bloom and I loved walking around in them.  I saw one strange bush that was mostly white, yet had some specks of pink in the flowers.  Some flowers had one or a few bright pink petals, and one flower was totally pink.  It was a hybrid, and it was interesting what the genes do in a plant.
I did go inside the library for a while and look at the collections. I browsed the magazines from horticultural societies around the world.  I would like to go back there again to read the book collections. 
The greenhouse was great.  Many large cacti were there, similar to some I saw in in a greenhouse near Namsan Tower in Seoul.  The place had many large palms and ferns.  Moss grew everywhere.
I do wish I could go there very often. If I lived closer, I would make myself a member and go there every few weeks to see the different plants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post