Garden Shop and Later Max

Early this morning my mother and I went to a garden shop.  We got a blueberry bush that will have pink berries. I never saw such a thing before. I just had to get it since I like unusual plants, as well as blueberries.  I guess "blueberry" won't be such an appropriate name for them now, but I am not sure what else to use. So "pink  blueberry" even though it sounds silly.  We also got a gooseberry bush, which is more popular in Europe.  Our local expatriates from Europe have called the store to ask for them.  We got a raspberry bush and a kiwi plant.
My mother also bought two pear trees (Bartlett and Asian pear) and an apple tree that will yield four types of apples. Since it's a grafted tree it can pollinate itself and not need another tree.  It will have Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, and Gravenstein apples.  It's a good idea, since it sells.  We left the trees to be delivered to our home later and took the bushes home in the car.

My mother later left to go to the gym. I wanted to go to the bank, so I stayed home and waited for my sister to come over.  She brought her laundry since her pets peed on her bedding.  She brought the laundry downstairs.  I helped her with the laundry by holding up the sheets as she sprayed some stain remover on them.  She went to the sink to wash her hands. I stepped outside to wait for her out there. 
As soon as I opened the door  Max, my mother's Maltese dog, ran outside. I quickly ran after him, calling him to come back. He kept running down the driveway and into the street.  I ran across the street after him.  A SUV was coming.  He walked in front of the vehicle.  I heard a crack and the SUV stopped.  Max was underneath. 
I was screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" and "FUUUUUUUUUU**!!!!"  I saw him there, still alive. I didn't know how I could get to him since he was square underneath.  The couple got out of the SUV.  A man who was in a van also stopped.  He reached under and picked Max up.  I could see he had a big wound near his hind leg.  I was calling for my sister, who didn't come out of the house. When she came out I ran to her and said Max got hit.  The man asked if we had a box.
My sister found the top half of a cat's litter box that was in the yard. I had taken it outside to clean it and let it dry.  We put Max inside it and went to her car.  I held him on my lap. I found her  nylon jacket and put it on him.  I was later handed a shirt that was in the car. I put that on him and held it tight against him. Max held up his head.  I spoke softly to him. He later put his head down. I petted him and tried to get him to put his head up again, it made me feel better.
We made it to the vet and they took Max away.  I waited in the waiting area, which was very crowded. I paced and paced. I know Max is my mother's favourite dog.  Deborah left to get my mother from the gym since she wasn't answering her cell phone.  I sat in the private room and listened to the vet's words.  She said that he needed a X-ray to check for trauma.  He could be fine if there is no trauma.
Later my mother and aunt showed up with my sister.  All four of us were there.  The vet came and said that there was no trauma, yet he has a broken pelvis. He said that for smaller dogs the pelvis breaking isn't always bad, because they don't put much weight on it.  We need to see what happens in the first 24 hours.
All four of us went to see Max. He was sitting upright, with his back all bandaged.  He was panting, but very alert. He looked at all of us and wagged his tail.  I was glad to see he had control over his tail.  I also greeted an orange cat in the next cage, who rolled around and purred.  A smart cat knows a cat person when he sees one.
I do hope Max does get better soon, and that he doesn't get any infections.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post