Goodbye Mindy


Mindy, 2010-2011 Died of FIP

This week Mindy deteriorated.  She didn't walk around as much.  She stopped eating and drinking on her own.  I felt crushed because she made such great improvements since November, when I first noticed her having neurological problems.  She used to be paralyzed and didn't eat or drink on her own.  Later she started walking, even though it wasn't well-balanced.  I no longer had to spoon-feed her and give her water with a syringe.  She did have a sort of shaky head and her eyes darted back and forth sometimes.  She had FIP, or Feline Infectious Peritonitus.  I gave her a vaccine for that, but it's only 60% effective and she may have been born with the virus.

Last night around 1 am I was trying to sleep with Mindy on me.  Suddenly she started hyperventilating.  I knew her mouth was open and she was seething. I wasn't sure if she was vomiting or just foaming at the mouth. I put my hand there and she bit my thumb hard.  It bled a lot. I turned on the light and I realized she was having a seizure.  For about 15 minutes she scratched around, shrieked, and writhed. I trapped her in the blanket so she wouldn't fall on the floor. 

I moved her to the couch. I turned on the TV so I would have a distraction. I petted her. The convulsions were less severe.  Yet, around 3 am, Mindy passed away.  I put her body in a paper bag. It was only then I realized she was biting the couch.  I had to extract her teeth from the upholstery.  I am so upset.

I buried her next to the house. I uprooted some irises that had multiplied and planted them there. I also put in two hyacinth bulbs that I had brought in the house earlier.  I poured water on the plants so they will grow.  Once I came into the house, I realized I didn't cut off any fur. I have usually done that with pets who have passed away.  I just told myself that I have some photographs to remember her with.

Today is Good Friday.  I really do hope that pets can go to Heaven.  I do need to remember that Earth isn't my real home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post