R.I.P. Midnight 1994-2010

Last Friday my mother and I talked on the phone and she told me Midnight, my old cat, finally passed away.  He was a kitten my sister found in a parking lot when we were camping.  I took off my shoelace and tied him to our tent. We later brought him home. He was a cat that loved purring, climbing things, and sometimes cuddling.
One thing about Midnight was his attitude of superiority.  Even though we had one dog and two other cats when we got him, he became the leader of the animals. Nobody dared cross him.  He sat where he wanted and never took any crap from the other animals.  He liked butting his head on people, against the leg, or even against someone else's head if he wanted something.
I do remember one funny incident when he chased a dog out of the yard.  Some neighbors of ours had a new chocolate labrador and it liked going into our yard to poop. Midnight would chase him out.  I saw him arching his back, sticking his tail straight up in the air with the fur fanned out like a bottle-brush and he hissed loudly. The dog ran off.  I couldn't stop laughing.
Midnight was recently getting thinner and thinner and my mother knew he was dying, so she made him a box to lay in.  He didn't want the box and wanted to go in the basement. He never came back upstairs. My mother later went down there and found him laying in the open, looking peaceful. She said she would bury him in the morning because it was raining outside and dark.

Comments

Skryfblok said…
Sorry to hear about Midnight.

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post