Muan White Lotus Festival

Last Sunday I went to the White Lotus Festival in Muan.  Muan is a suburb of Mokpo.  I wanted to go there on Saturday, spend the night there, and then go back on Sunday.  I had to work on Saturday at the veteriniarian, so I had to make a one-day trip to Mokpo.  I was surprised how beautiful it was out there.  There were many rice fields, small hamlets, and many nice mountains in the distance.  I went there alone, and it was a 4-hour bus ride from Express Bus Terminal.  There is a small bus terminal in Muan that offers sporadic service to and from Seoul, but Mokpo is a busier bus terminal that offers many rides to and from Seoul.
Muan had many cariactures of a white lotus all around the town.  Many street signs, business signs, bridges, and garbage cans had pictures of white lotus flowers or a cartoon character of one.  It reminded me of my trips to Leominster, Massachusetts when I would see many apple designs everywhere because the town is the birthplace of Johnny Appleseed.
The festival was held at a large pond that was filled with lotus flowers that were white.  The flowers, however, did have some pink edges.  Many blooms were spent, others were still buds, and some in full bloom.  There were walkways built into the pond so tourists could have a close-up view of the flowers.  There were also boats that could be rented to paddle on a course.
Teahouses were set up for people to try both cold and hot lotus tea.  There were teas made from the roots, leaves, and blossoms of the lotus.  They were served by people wearing hanboks.  I liked the teas.
There were entertainers from North Korea.  They were a troop of women who sang many songs and did various traditional dances.  I felt sad for North Korea, where most of the people are starving.
Going home was tiring. I went all the way back to Express Bus Terminal and took a taxi home. I went to bed past 1:00 am. I am glad I went, even though it was a long day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post