Quarter-life Crisis

I went to church today at the university. I was invited to go to a baptism social by some friends from Australia. I had a good time talking with some people there. I finally met up with Jonathan, someone I worked with at another school. He was happy to see me. He asked me what I did when I was in the USA. I told him I worked and spent time taking care of my aunt who had a stroke. I know he got his master's degree in English while he was away from Korea. I could have gotten a master's as well, yet things didn't work out for me to go. I am actually glad I didn't get my master's in teaching because I decided I don't want to work with children as a career. In a sense, it was a blessing.
I have been wondering what to do with myself. I recently came across someone on facebook that I had met many years ago. I had remembered her name because we had many mutual acquaintances.
I had met her years ago when I was about eight years old. She was a friend of my schoolteacher's. She had spent a year abroad teaching schoolchildren on an island called "Truk" (Chuuk) in Micronesia. She brought in many picture slides, some coconut bowls, and even a grass skirt for the students to try on. I was fascinated. Right then I decided I wanted to spend time overseas. I wanted to help people. That was a goal I held onto since then.
I was pleased to finally take the opportunity to tell her how much that day had changed my life. It is amazing that sometimes one small experience can alter someone's life's course.
Lately I have been evaluating my time overseas. I came back to Korea nearly 10 months ago. Honestly, I haven't had a good year. I worked at a hagwon for 6 months and I hated it. I hated it more than any job I have ever done. I decided that I won't work with young children again. I also reconsidered ever becoming a parent. I am now working at a high school, which is a lot better. Yet, my health has been declining since I started. I have been having acid reflux and have recently had a skin condition and a type of flu. It wasn't swine flu though. I think it's related to stress.
I have been thinking of what to do with the rest of my life. I have still been dreaming of going to other places. I have thought of the Philippines, Africa, South America, etc. I want to study some more. I have thought of public health, which would give me something to do in other places. There is a programme here in Korea for that, which meets on Sundays, and it looks interesting. The problem I have with that is it's the only day of the week I have to do things.
I will be 30 years old next year. I envy those who already have master's degrees. I just have to pray about things and think about them, as to what to do next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post