Goodbye, Zoey. Rest in Peace


Zoey and her friend.
I just finished burying Zoey. I only had her for just more than a week. I am sad. She developed a breathing problem.
I had picked her up while walking home on Thursday night. I took her to the vet the next day for shots and a check-up. I thought she would be a good pet for me. I had just lost a pet and felt that it was a stroke of Providence to find a new pet so quickly.
On Tuesday I left for a teacher's training session and left some food out for my cats. I was away for two nights. When I came back on Thursday afternoon, I noticed the kitten was breathing heavily. I called the vet and brought her over. He said she had the cat flu and gave her some shots and said to come back over the next few days so she could get the medicine. He said it wasn't serious.
On Friday I brought her in again and told the vet she hadn't ate anything. It was true. He gave her some more medicine and said some of it was for her appetite to get better. In the afternoon she still hadn't ate more than a few bites of food. I decided to call the vet again. He took an X-ray and said she had some trauma. She must have fell. He took her in to stay. He would give her oxygen and would give her medicines. She would have a 50/50 chance of surviving.
On Saturday morning I went to church and turned my phone on to vibrate during the service. As soon as we were walking out of the sanctuary, my phone vibrated. It was the vet. I took off down the stairs and talked. The vet said that Zoey had passed. I felt sad, but kept my composure. I went back upstairs to return my hymnal and shake a few hands. I quickly left.
I called my family from my cellphone and talked to my aunt. I got into a taxi and then went to the vet's. I picked up the cat carrier and Zoey's body. I wanted to bury her. The vet had her wrapped in tissue paper. I saw her yellow eyes now cloudy. Her little body with its scrapes that had been healing. I shed some tears. The vet said I didn't have to pay for it all. I thanked him and walked home. I buried Zoey next to the apartment building, where I already buried a hedgehog last month. I am saddened that I didn't get to know her well. At least she had a warm place to sleep for about a week and some good food, and someone to love her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post