Short.

OK. I am short. Without shoes I stand just over 5 feet tall or 153 cm. Even my name sounds short because the "tine" in "Christine" is close to "teeny" and "tiny". In school I was called "Shrimp". In university, I was marked as "absent" from my room after room checks FIVE times because the R.A. didn't know I was under my thick blanket. People don't think I am strong and sometimes wonder if carrying my backpack is a problem for me. It really isn't unless I have lots of stuff in there. I told a friend of my thoughts of being a university lecturer, and he said I would look funny up there lecturing as such a small person.
I once read an article somewhere that discussed heightism, saying that taller people seem to have it better in life. The average CEO is taller than the average man. In U.S. presidential elections the taller candidate has nearly always won over the shorter one. The leading men in romance films are always tall.
I do wonder how much height does play a big part in our lives, besides how easy it is to reach things. I have wondered that short people like me get discriminated against and sometimes don't realise it. Taller people are seen as healthier, more intelligent, and more competent. Maybe when we are not taken seriously, it could be because of our height? Could many job offers and promotions have been biased because of height somehow? Many short people get rejected in love because someone wanted a taller mate, yet that usually happens to men.
The truth is, nobody is always treated fairly. Having confidence is important and that will deter a lot of attacks. I also think that using humour is also a great way of dealing with those things.

Comments

I really liked this post. As an essay it is well argued, interesting, and has a nice flow to it.

Also like the "short" song.
Thanks! I have felt I need to practice my writing so I don't lose it.

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post