Pi Day at Harvard University




I recently found this photo on a friend's Myspace page. Last year I went to Pi Day at Harvard University. It was one of the nerdiest things I have done. I like those things that are stereotypically nerdy anyway. I went with my sister and three friends. One of the friends, Shawn, was applying to study mathematics at Harvard. The event was held in the math department on March 14
(3/14) and at 3:14 pm. He wanted to compete in the pi recitation contest.
The pi contest was held first. Just one student did the binary recitation. He recited a long sequence in 0s and 1s. He was very hyperactive, had his hair in a ponytail, and wore a tie-dyed T-shirt that said "Fermat's Last Theorem" on it. My friend eventually recited 360 places of pi. The winner, however, recited pi for 3,141 places. He sat for 45 minutes and recited it, sometimes slowly. He said he could see the numbers in his head. He often paused for a drink or to clear his head with a shake. His mother was there and hugged him at the end. I was amazed.
Later on there was a pie eating contest. A professor played a piano piece he called "Recitation of Pi". Later on some wines and cheeses were brought out.
I decided to meet with the students there. They were very interesting. Unfortunately many of them cracked math jokes which I didn't get. I wasn't very good at math in school. I learned what I needed to learn, yet learned it slowly. I did excel at other stuff though.
I did have a good time. Shawn never got accepted there, but later did an extension programme through the university. I was thankful for the diversion and the opportunity to meet some very intelligent people. Those are the types I like to hang out with.

Comments

Mary-Jane said…
I would've have loved to experience that :-) Not that I'm a mathematical genius, mind you...
Yes. I love that sort of intellectual stuff, even if it's not my field.

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post