Einstein Quote

I believe that the horrifying deterioration in the ethical conduct of people today stems from the mechanization and dehumanization of our lives--the disastrous by-product of the scientific and technical mentality nostra culpa. Man grows cold faster than the planet he inhabits.
I do think that being away from the natural world has been making people grow colder to each other. I think that being in nature reduces stress greatly. Exercise makes our minds clearer. Fresh air does the same. I remember going to teach in Kwangju, Korea after being in Seoul for over a year. The change in the air was different, it suddenly made me sleepy. My then-roommate Mimie told me that when her friends went to visit her from Seoul, they also felt sleepy. The instant fresher air had a calming effect.
I know that colours have an effect on people's moods. Green and blue are calming colours. Greys are depressing. Could it be that is the reason why so many people are chronically depressed, especially during winter months?
About four years ago I went to visit the Amish in Pennsylvania. The tour guide said that being in their valley will make us feel more tranquil. It was true. There I saw hard-working people with large families who were cheerful. The children were rambunctious yet still polite. In the culture I was raised in, people with one or two children were very stressed out with balancing parenthood with jobs. It makes me wonder how our way of life has to do with stress levels more rather than the amount of responsibilities we have?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hades Welcomes His Bride

Post